Gratitude Project, Day 5: State Health Insurance

| Saturday, August 20, 2011 | |
{I actually wrote this entire thing yesterday and forgot to publish it, so it still counts for yesterday's gratitude.}

I guess I am showing the true state of my finances by posting this on my gratitude list, but I am thankful that we qualify for the kids to be covered by our state children's health insurance, Health Choice, and I'm not ashamed about it. When the real estate market started tanking, and my business went from showing a profit to suffering a loss, we suddenly qualified for children's health insurance.

This insurance is free and covers doctor visits and hospital 100% and we pay just $2 per prescription. Just saving on the insurance premium alone saves us $200/month. Then, it saves us doctor copays, usually at least $25/month. Also, it allows us to have Luke's ADHD managed by a therapist that wouldn't have been covered under our individual insurance plan, saving us a minimum of $250 each month but usually more like $375+. Well, it's not actually saving us the therapist costs -- we wouldn't be able to afford that so Luke wouldn't be managed by a therapist otherwise.

We are up for renewal again and I found out today that this year we don't have to submit a new application. No stress over whether or not we still qualify, even though I know we do. We didn't have any changes in income status so we don't have to submit a thing.

Ahhhh!!!! {that's my big sigh of relief}

What are you thankful for today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

join me in telling it like it is. your comments are always welcome (just keep it clean and respectful).