Gratitude Project: Day 1

| Sunday, August 14, 2011 | |
Life is hard. I'm the last person to deny that!

And life has been much harder for our family in 2011. We cut our finances to the quick after battling the public schools to give our son, Luke, who has ADHD and learning disabilities, the support he needs in school to no avail, cut everything and put a year's private school tuition in the bank so we can send him to a private school with a learning environment much better suited. On top of that, Emma got braces this summer and we are now on the hook for the equivalent of a car payment to her orthodontist every month for the next two years. And now, in August, due to this and unexpected expenses, and a continual decline in the real estate market, we'll be choosing which bills must be paid on time and which will have to be late.

We lost a dear family member two weeks ago too.

So life is tough. But I don't want to be pulled down by it. That's tough too.

In an effort to help hope and happiness float to the top, I'm starting my own gratitude project. I'm going to blog here, each and every day, one thing I'm grateful for. My goal is to keep this up for 60 days -- I'd like to do it for 360, but I haven't lost all sense of reality during these difficult time.

I welcome you to join me. You can visit here each day and leave your note of gratitude for the day.

Day 1: Cuddle time from my son. Most kids are too "big" to cuddle with their mom two months before their 9th birthday, but not Luke. He asks me to scoop him up and hold him tight almost every day.


6 comments:

Anonymous Says:
August 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

That is great. My 14 1/4 yr old still asks for hugs too. I think its their sensitivity that alot of other kids dont seem to hold on to as much.

Today I am grateful for having alittle extra money to be able to buy a FEW new school clothes for my son this year. YEAH!!! I think he is more excited then me. :)

Melissa Johnston Says:
August 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I am grateful for my husband today. He always makes me feel good about myself even when I don't. I love him for that.

Anonymous Says:
August 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I am grateful for the strong relationship I have with my ADHD son Ryan. Through all of the challenges we have an unshakeable bond.

Anonymous Says:
August 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM

We have an ADHD grandson Ryan that will be nine on Monday. He calls us Mom and Dad - his biological Mother did not take care of him and his biological Dad was killed by drunk driver. We have had him since he was four. Everyday is a challenge at our house - but God has truly blessed us by allowing us to have Ryan. We are grateful!

Anonymous Says:
August 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM

I am grateful for the bright, twinkling smile and happy, "Good morning, Mom!" that my 8 year old greets me with each and every day. We are blessed to have a son with such an amazingly positive attitude. -Karen

Anonymous Says:
August 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I am grateful that my 7y/o son Kaden helps me keep the world in perspective. On the 1st day of 2nd grade, he was so excited! Well, the bus came much too early and I had to drive him to school instead. I didn't mind, I liked the extra time and conversation. (and watching him so nervious in the back seat :) That afternoon he was supposed to take the bus home, well in the confusion of the first day...somehow he didn't make it. As I'm walking out to the bus stop, I heard the phone ring...the school calling to let me know. When Kaden finally climbed back into the backseat, he looked alittle dissapointed. I asked what what wrong, he said "I can't believe I missed the bus...twice!". I couldn't help but bust out laughing, just the way he said it. so often I'm running around feeling stressed out about all the things I HAVE to do. And Kaden, all he WANTED was to ride the bus. He handled that dissapointment so well. He let that one roll right off his shoulders. And the next morning he didn't miss the bus :]

Post a Comment

join me in telling it like it is. your comments are always welcome (just keep it clean and respectful).